New York Attractions
What To Do And See Nearby
There are many historic, scenic and interesting points of interest to visit while camping at Jellystone Park™ in Central New York.
- Salmon River Hatchery – Built in 1980, the Salmon River Fish Hatchery specializes in raising chinook salmon, coho salmon, steelhead, and brown trout. Located in Altmar, NY, the Salmon River Fish Hatchery supplies fish for more than 100 public waters including Lake Ontario. Each year, the hatchery stocks approximately 3.5 million trout and salmon.
- Salmon River International Sport Fishing Museum – The Gladding International Sport Fishing Museum, believed to be the nations first sport fishing museum.
- Derby Hill Bird Observatory – Onondaga Audubon’s Derby Hill, located on the southeastern corner of Lake Ontario in Oswego County, NY, is one of the premier hawk watches in the Northeastern United States.
- Salmon River Falls – 110 foot waterfall, higher than Niagara Falls, providing a breathtaking view anytime of the year. Footpath to the bottom of the gorge open May – November.
- Two outstanding apple orchards within 1 mile of the campground
- America’s War of Independence Mural: La Guerre d’Independence, Mexico Academy & Central School – Multicolored woodblock scenic mural depicting America’s War of Independence; made in France. Only two exist, the other is displayed in the White House.
- Starr Clark Tin Shop – Starr Clark ran a nice little business in Mexico in the 1850s, a tin shop in the village of Mexico, a famed stop on the Underground Railroad, it is being refurbished to become a museum.
- Mexico Point State Park – Nature trail. Medieval-style cottage open for tours. Beach open for swimming mid-June through Labor Day.
- Fort Ontario State Historic Site – French & Indian War. Underground artillery casemates and rifle galleries, Powder Magazine, East and West Guardhouses, Storehouse, and ramparts, featuring magnificent views of Lake Ontario, are available for touring.
- Safe Haven Museum & Education Center – America’s only shelter for Nazi Holocaust survivors during World War II.
- Destiny USA – 6th largest mall in the US! 300+ stores, indoor ropes course, IMAX Theatre and more.